lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and remote index and java applet, with no java app server
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:29:21 GMT
> I see your words, but I hate to admit that I don't understand them in
> totality!
>
> When you say that the search is executed on the web server, that means
> that we would need to code it it Perl or some such, no?
>
> I don't see (except for a Perl or PHP script) how the search could
> execute on the website itself.  Or is this what you are, indeed, suggesting?
>
> I've been thinking of 'Java, Java, Java' only, but this does seem like a
> valid idea.
>
> So, I can build the index with Java locally, and then 'cgi' it on the
> server side.
>
> Am I getting this right?  :->
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

One way of doing this would be to set up Apache Tomcat on your web
server.  Build yourself a jsp webpage which interfaces with Lucene to do
the search and display the results.  Lucene can be run natively inside
of Tomcat.

Another (more hackish/quick and dirty/probably full of peril) way of
doing this if you don't want to have to learn tomcat/jsp and/or support
Tomcat (or any other web server / application server that is capable of
serving java/jsp applications) would be to write the necessary code to
make perl talk to java - We have done this before (for a different
purpose) by just having them send messages back and forth over a socket.
  You web app written in perl could send a message to a running java vm
on the web server (on a socket that the java vm is listening to) with
the desired search.  The java wrapper picks up the message, performs the
lucene search on the index, and then returns the results back over the
socket to the perl code.

Dan