lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Volodymyr Bychkoviak <vbychkov...@i-hypergrid.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter.optimize() need to much time.
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:37:13 GMT
this approach has one pitfall:
    merging indexes call optimize() two times (before and after merge)

Mordo, Aviran (EXP N-NANNATEK) wrote:

>While optimizing you can create a new temp index (you can even use a RAMDirectory - since
it'll be fairly small), and index all the new documents there. When you are finished with
the optimizing just merge the temp into the main index.

>HTH
>
>Aviran
>http://www.aviransplace.com

but I can't allow me to block the system such a long time :-(.
>>I don't know when I can take the time for optimize().
>>
>>Has someone allready find a workarround for this problem ?
>>Is it possible to make a sleep in the 'optimize() while' so that the index is avaible
for another Thread ? Would it be usefull ?

>>thanks
>>   Éric.

regards,
Volodymyr Bychkoviak