lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Volodymyr Bychkoviak <vbychkov...@i-hypergrid.com>
Subject Re: Renewing IndexSearcher on index change.
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:20:09 GMT

Olivier Jaquemet wrote:

> Thank you very much Volodymyr!
> Exactly the perfect answer I needed.
> One last question: how do you manage brutal interruption of you
> program? Cause as far as I am concerned, if I don't use a finalize
> method in which I close opened searchers, if for some reason the jvm
> terminates, on next run of my program, lucene throws TimeOut exception
> when trying to open lock file, as it was not close properly.

I'm using following code during program startup

    try {
      if ( !IndexReader.indexExists(indexDirectory)) {
        // working index doesn't exist so try to create a dummy index.
        IndexWriter iw = new IndexWriter(indexDirectory, new
StandardAnalyzer(), true);
        iw.close();
      } else {
        IndexReader.unlock(FSDirectory.getDirectory(indexDirectory, false));
      }
    } catch (IOException e) {
      // exception
    }

but this method should be used if you are running only one instance of
such program (because one program can unlock index locked by another
program for indexing for example)

--
regards,
Volodymyr Bychkoviak