lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance Improvments?
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:17:12 GMT
Palmer, Andrew MMI Woking wrote:
> I am looking at changing the value BufferedIndexOutput.BUFFER_SIZE  from
> 1024 to maybe 8192.  Has anyone done anything similar and did they get
> any performance improvements.

I doubt this will speed things much.

> Generally I am looking to reduce the time it takes to optimize the
> index, currently a 20GB index takes about an hour.  I have at least four
> indexes of this size and they are all in the critical path for the
> production cycle.

A RAID device with higher i/o throughput might help.

Or perhaps you can just optimize the index less often.  Instead use a
very small merge factor (i.e., 2) to minimize the number of segments.
This will make searches faster.  Increase minMergeDocs to 1000 or so to
keep updates fast.

Doug