lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Wesley MacDonald" <>
Subject RE: Java Indexer + DotLucene + IIS question
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:09:34 GMT

	You might want to use Replistor in a case like this and only
have one indexer running, let Replistor manage the copies.

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: October 31, 2005 2:28 PM
Subject: Java Indexer + DotLucene + IIS question

I have the following situation, and I am looking for any suggestions...
First, here is my current configuration:
1. Java Indexer (windows service) created to index data from a SQL
Server database...3 indexes are created
2. DotLucene is used on the front-end to search my index files...which
means I am running on Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0 ( sorry guys :-P )
3. The index location(s) are read from a config file
4. I am currently running this site on one webserver (not a farm)
The problem is that I am moving to a webfarm shortly...and I am trying
to figure out a way to replicate the index(s) that I am creating. The
indexer indexes based off a bit field in the database, and a seperate
thread runs in the background to optimize the index(s).
Possible Solutions:
1. If I use so me built-in replication or some other third party
solution across the servers I think (tell me if I am wrong please) I may
have an issue since the indexer compresses and writes and something may
go wrong...
2. If I use a shared drive (UNC) to another clustered machine (not one
of the webservers), I need to open ports for IIS and the worker process
to talk to it...not a good idea
3. If I store on one web-server and have a shared drive from all other
webservers to that one webserver, then I have a problem if that one
webserver goes down for aby reason
4. I don't want to store the indexes in a database
5. I can get a Index Server to use (like a state server)...but I would
rather not spend the money :-)
6. I can use some remoting solution to bypass the UNC idea...but this
requires a coding change (not a problem if this is the best solution)
What I am looking for is someone who knows of the best solution...or if
someone implemented something different than the above.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message