lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <eugeny...@jdevelop.com>
Subject Re: partial reindex
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:38:29 GMT
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 07:03:45AM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2005, at 4:01 AM, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
> >Is it possible somehow to change some partial fields in indexed
> >documents without reindexing all documents?
> No, not with Lucene 1.4.3.  But the Subversion trunk has a feature
> that can facilitate this sort of thing by building two indexes, one
> with the data and one with the security information.  Look at
> ParallelReader and it's javadocs.

Ok, thanks, I will review things you mentioned. But could Lucene mix up 2
indexes in single query?

> >The thing is we have set of "searchable" documents and set of access
> >privileges (which builds the tree-like structure, i'e access
> >privileges could be
> >inherited from parent node) for these documents. I was supposed to
> >provide
> >some "keyword" when indexing documents, which keyword will be
> >"flatten" rights,
> >i'e privileges merged from parent nodes (if required), in the same
> >way as it is
> >described in the Lucene in action book appendix (SecurityFilterTest).
>
> However, for data like permissions, ACL's, groups, etc, it may be
> better to keep the information where it originally resides and have a
> Filter that accesses the external data.  It would likely be easier
> and quicker to re-instantiate Filter's than to rebuild a security
> index and less duplication.

But what about the case if only 1 result is allowed to be displayed by
application, but there are thousands of hits, which needs to be filtered for
ACLs?

As far as I understand, this can be the pain, because Lucene keeps the results
in memory, correct? So it is better to find solution for pre-filtering rather
than post-filtering, since last one could be resource-expensive. May be you
could suggest some another index/search engines?

--
Eugene N Dzhurinsky