lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: Folksonomies
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:59:12 GMT
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:43:45AM -0400, Dan Funk wrote:
> I've been reading about Folksonomies (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy), and I would like to incorporate
> them into a project I'm developing with Lucene.
>
> The concept is pretty simple, a targeted community of users add labels of
> their choosing (just off the top of their head, not from a list) to
> documents (or sections of documents) as a way of bookmarking them for later
> reference. I'll most likely keep the information in a derby database to
> begin with, and use it as personalization feature. It's not my idea, I think
> it originated with del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us>.

     I've been meaning to build something like this for a searchable,
annotatable mailing list archive, for years and years.  It's what got
me interested in lucene to begin with, then I got sidetracked into using
lucene for work purposes :-).

     I actually started thinking about tackling this again, just this
week.  The main questions are generally where/how to store the
annotations, and whether I want to use lucene for the mail store or
use an adjacent sql database.

> In the long run however, all those labels should be pretty cool to play
> around with - it would be extremely interesting to write tools for analyzing
> what labels ended up where, which occur really often, etc ... and use this
> information to create a mutating browse feature. Identify oft-used terms and
> create categories, or possibly even hierarchies of topics.

     This is the part that's always fascinated me - the idea of giving
a community of users the ability to add metadata to the archive and
facilitate the evolution of new ways of using/looking at the data.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - http://darksleep.com/notablog