lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aigner, Thomas" <TAig...@WescoDist.com>
Subject RE: Optimization
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:17:04 GMT
Thanks Erik, I tried the reverse index and it worked like a charm.
While I was doing this, we figured out a way to handle contains within
search and wildcard searches at the beginning.  I thought I would share
it with the community (and realized it handled the reverse index as
well)

Word: ABCDEFG

Tokens created:
	<ABCDEFG
	BCDEFG
	CDEFG
	DEFG
	EFG
	FG

What I do is if the search string is :
	WORD*   I search for <WORD*
	*WORD   I search for WORD*
	*WORD*  I search for WORD*
      WORD    I search for <WORD

With this technique, the search result time was decreased tremendously
for contains within and wildcard searches from the beginning.  The index
has become 5X as large and takes longer to build, but I'm willing to
sacrifice disk space and time for this huge benefit of speed.  Also, I
have taken the wildcard query completely out of the program now so
everything uses my customized analyzer.

Tom