lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Kim" <>
Subject RE: Re: Lucene and remote index and java applet, with no java app server
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:12:42 GMT
I'm not sure about Perl or PHP--perhaps there are some ports of Lucene
that'll let you do that. But the most straightforward way is to just
write a simple Java web application with a servlet that uses an
IndexSearcher to execute a form-entered query and have it return

It seems like you may be unfamiliar with Java web application
programming though. Download Tomcat, get a book on java servlet
programming (I like Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages) and get Lucene
in Action (essential for doing anything with lucene). But stay away from

> I see your words, but I hate to admit that I don't understand
> them in totality!
> When you say that the search is executed on the web server,
> that means that we would need to code it it Perl or some such, no?
> I don't see (except for a Perl or PHP script) how the search
> could execute on the website itself.  Or is this what you
> are, indeed, suggesting?
> I've been thinking of 'Java, Java, Java' only, but this does
> seem like a valid idea.
> So, I can build the index with Java locally, and then 'cgi'
> it on the server side.
> Am I getting this right?  :->
> Thanks,
> Dave