lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dalton, Jeffery" <jdal...@globalspec.com>
Subject RE: Displaying search context
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:28:12 GMT
You mentioned that "it will scale well in the future".  Does this imply
that it doesn't scale well now?  What are the current limitations of the
Lucene Highlighter?  Does does it perform under high query load?

This is just a curiousity of mine, but nutch has a separate Summarizer:
net.nutch.search.summarizer.  The Nutch summarizer looks much more
efficient ( aka more simplistic) and therefore probably more scalable?
This is probably a question for the Nutch user list, but why doesn't
Nutch use the Lucene Summarizer?

Thoughts, comments?

- Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Funk [mailto:funkd@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 8:28 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Displaying search context

What you are doing is a good, scalable practice.  You need to store
those email messages somewhere outside of Lucene, and use a unique id to
correlate the two.  When you want to display relevant text for a search
result, find the file on disk, and pass it through the Lucene
Highlighter  (see the Lucene sandbox).  This will give you what you are
looking for, and it will scale well in the future.