lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: indexing documents from 1857
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:32:57 GMT

On Sep 28, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Renaud Richardet wrote:

> Hello,
>

>> From our understanding, Lucene uses the Unix Epoch (Jan 1, 1970) and
>>
> there are conflicts with dates that pass this line. For one of our
> projects, we will need to be able to move past Jan 1, 1970 date as far
> as 1857.
>
> Is there any workaround this?

I'd be in big trouble if Lucene couldn't handle dates in the
1850's :)  My life revolves around 19th century literature at http://
www.nines.org where I'm building the "Google of 19th century
literature".  I hope to have a working system deployed in the next
few weeks.  I've got development prototypes with faceted browsing
(much like the CNET interface, as well as like the cool Flamenco
interface) along with full-text search.

To echo what others have said... index years as a String YYYY if only
years are relevant, or YYYYMM if you need months, or YYYYMMDD if you
need full dates.

     Erik