lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Is Lucene for Me?
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:32:55 GMT

On Sep 13, 2005, at 8:27 PM, James Reynolds wrote:
> Please forgive this low tech question, but I'm wondering if Lucene
> is an
> appropriate solution for a challenge I'm facing.  I need a quick
> look up
> method for a growing list of customers in a database (the alphabetical
> select list has become too cumbersome).

> Lucene seems to be an excellent option for a key word search, but I
> wonder if it's overkill for my relatively simple need.  Have other
> users
> leveraged Lucene in this manner?

Certainly Lucene could do this quite easily, but since you're already
using a database it would be worth it to explore whether LIKE queries
or full-text capabilities of your database will achieve what you're
after without adding another dependency and related code to your
project.

It wouldn't be overkill to use Lucene for this scenario at all if you
can't achieve what you're after within your database as-is.

     Erik