lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <Tim.Wri...@informa.com>
Subject RE: Sorting results by both score and date
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:48:44 GMT
>> What I really want to do is sort by "A * (1-(B/700))", where A is the
>> score, and B is the age (in days) of the document. IE - the score is
>> basically "scaled down" with date.

> Maybe the TSS case study will help, though they rebuild their index
> nightly and can adjust the boost based on the current day.

Just read this - it looks like the best option for us. I think we could
get away with only periodically reindexing by just inflating the boost
marginally over time. Are there limits to boost? Any reason we can't
use a boost of, say, 0.0001 or 10,000?

Cheers,

Tim.

The information contained in this email message may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of viruses,
no responsibility is accepted by T&F Informa for any loss or damage arising in any way
from receipt or use thereof.  Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational
reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return and delete the message
and any attachments.  Further enquiries/returns can be sent to postmaster@tfinforma.com