lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: Sorting results by both score and date
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:14:09 GMT
Ah - the one bit of LIA I haven't read yet is the case studies section!
Many thanks, I'll check it out. Sorting by multiple fields isn't quite
what I want - that sorts entirely by field A, then uses field B for
records where A is identical, correct?

What I really want to do is sort by "A * (1-(B/700))", where A is the
score, and B is the age (in days) of the document. IE - the score is
basically "scaled down" with date.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher []
Sent: 16 September 2005 14:54
Subject: Re: Sorting results by both score and date

Tim, check out p. 155 in LIA where we discuss "Sorting by multiple

However, what you're really after it seems is boosting documents.
Check out TheServerSide's case study (online or in LIA) - Dion
discusses how he implemented boosting for more recent documents.  If
you're indexing documents in ascending date order, perhaps you could
leverage the document id in such a boosting factor?

The information contained in this email message may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of viruses,
no responsibility is accepted by T&F Informa for any loss or damage arising in any way
from receipt or use thereof.  Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational
reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return and delete the message
and any attachments.  Further enquiries/returns can be sent to

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message