lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: "Best-practice" in a web application
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:49:48 GMT

On Sep 20, 2005, at 2:24 AM, Magne Skjeret wrote:
> I am using lucene to index all my data, and it is working just great.
>
> I will now add search to a web application, so the index can
> actually be
> used, not just sit there.

Good idea... it'd be a shame for the index to sit unsearched!  :)

> 1. Can a search be performed while the index is beeing updated (add/
> delete)?

Yes, no problem with searches occurring during add/delete
operations.  The searches will not see new documents and still return
deleted documents until a new IndexSearcher instance is used, though.

> 2. Should I create a IndexSearcher for each search?
>    Or should I have 1 IndexSearcher for everyone? If, it is
> threadsafe,
> or do I queue? Or should I create a pool of IndexSearchers?

For best performance, use a single IndexSearcher instance across your
entire application.

> 3. Do I need to close the IndexSearcher while or after a index update
> operation?

When you want index changes to be visible to searches, drop the old
IndexSearcher instance and instantiate a new one.

     Erik