lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Rodenburg <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Lucene right for my app?
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:42:46 GMT
Kevin -

You've come to the right list to get information to help you make a
decision. That said, the responsible answer to your question will be "it
depends". The supporter in me says Lucene is your best choice, hands down.

Your questions aren't as straightforward as you might expect. Lucene is an
API, not a full-fledged search engine. It's up to you to put it to work
within the confines of your operation, so determining what's *best* can
normally only be determined by yourself.

My suggestion to you: pick up a copy of Lucene in Action. You'll get plenty
of support on this mailing list, but you can educate yourself much more
effectively with that book. The authors lurk on this list. It's the cheapest
consulting ($40) you can get.

Cheers,
jeff