lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Rodenburg <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sort by relevance+distance
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:38:58 GMT
trimming the post further:

On 9/18/05, James Huang <metaprgmr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >The problem is quite generic, I believe. What I like to do is similar to
> LIA-ch6, i.e. to find a "good Chinese Hunan-style restaurant near me." I
> prefer Hunan-style; however, if a good Human-style one is 12 miles, where
> there is a Shanghai-style only 2 miles, I may want to take that instead. So
> it's not a simple multi-sorting problem, it's an empirical ordering and the
> parameters may have to be experimented. Thus far, I'm happy with that
> formula I gave earlier.

Now I have to find a way to customize the scoring during search (using Hits,
> not customized HitsCollector). Help is desparately needed here!

The typical approach (from what I know) to implementing an affect on scoring
is to do field boosting. The difficulty in this scenario is the distance
factor, which sounds as if it's determined at run-time, plus the trickiness
of field boosting based on the values of the field. I've looked at this as
well, and it's not a simple problem to solve.

How are you determining if something is "near me"? Is it a calculation at
run-time, i.e. latitude, longitude, and geometric math? What options do you
have to determine distance?