lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Rodenburg <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hits issue or custom filter issue?
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:53:39 GMT
On 9/13/05, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> I just had another thought: is the number of results you get back from
> each of the filters the same as the number you get back if you apply no
> filter?

In one case yes, in another case no. I've been able to test to either some
results, or zero results. Very strange.
I'll post some test code in a while.

If so, then:

> a) Perhaps you don't realize this, but a Filter can never be used to
> increase the number of results returned by a query. Filter's can only
> limit the number of items returned. No matter how many bits are set to
> true in the BitSet you return, the Searcher won't even check the bits for
> documents with a score of zero.

Haven't checked the scores of the returning documents in the aggregated
result set, but believe (on appearance) that they have greater-than-zero
scores.

b) Is it possible that your filter isn't doing anything all, ie: is there
> any execution path that may return a BitSet in which every bit is set?

It's either doing nothing or not working at all. This seems to be the likely
culprit. Strangely enough, the custom filter is used previously and works
fine.

...also, an easy way to sanity test your CustomFilter is to skip the Query
> object alltogether, and just call the Filter.bits(IndexReader) directly
> on each filter, and compare the BitSets you get back. if they are
> .equals() then there's your problem.

Will do the step-through following this manner and post the results.

-- j