lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: lucene and UTF-8
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:29:14 GMT
John Cherouvim wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm having some problems indexing my UTF-8 html pages. I am running
> lucene on Linux and I cannot understand why does the index generated
> depends on the locale of my operating system.
> If I do set | grep LANG I get: LANG=el_GR which is Greek. If I set this
> to en_US the index generated will be different. Why is this the case? My
> HTMLs are all UTF-8.

I think the difference comes from the default character encoding, if the
page is NOT clearly marked as UTF-8 - then the system has to guess, and
it guesses differently depending on the current locale.

> Also, is there a lucene index browser? I am currently using Luke, which
> is good but it doesn't show the Greek UTF-8 from within the index
> correctly. Is this a matter of a setting in Luke?

It's a matter of setting the appropriate font in Settings.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><