lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject A very technical question.
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:24:45 GMT

Hi.

I have a very technical question. I need to alter document score (or in
fact: document boosts) for an existing index, but for each query. In
other words, I'd like these to have pseudo-queries of the form:

1. civil war PREFER:shorter
2. civil war PREFER:longer

for these two queries, 1. would score shorter documents higher then
option 2, which would in turn score longer documents higher. Note that
these preferences can be expressed at query time, so static document
boosts are of little help.

I'd appreciate if those familiar with the internals of Lucene gave me
brief instructions on how this could be achieved (my rough guess is that
I'll need to build my own Scorer... but how to access document length
and where to plug in that scorer... besides I'd rather hear it from
somebody with more expertise).

Thanks,
D.