lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Funk <fu...@BATTELLE.ORG>
Subject Re: Displaying search context
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:38:26 GMT

Dalton, Jeffery wrote:

>You mentioned that "it will scale well in the future".  Does this imply
>that it doesn't scale well now?

Absolutely not.   I'm saying the practice of storing your documents
outside of a Lucene, is, in general,  a good practice to follow.  Lucene
is brilliant, but specialized.  It should be used for it's intended
porpoise (everything should have an intended porpoise).  I wasn't
slighting the Highlighter, my project has been very much the better for
having used it.

>  What are the current limitations of the
>Lucene Highlighter?  Does does it perform under high query load?

I don't know.  I can run ten full page text documents through the
highlighter and generate a search results page in about 50ms, about the
same amount of time it took to get the hits object.  And I have reason
to believe I may not have used the highlighter in  the most effective
manor.  I stopped futzing with it when I felt I was getting results back
in an acceptable amount of time.

>This is just a curiousity of mine, but nutch has a separate Summarizer:
>net.nutch.search.summarizer.  The Nutch summarizer looks much more
>efficient ( aka more simplistic) and therefore probably more scalable?
>This is probably a question for the Nutch user list, but why doesn't
>Nutch use the Lucene Summarizer?
>
>Thoughts, comments?
>
>- Jeff

Dan Funk