lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Bräuer <newslet...@matrix-web.de>
Subject Re: "Best-practice" in a web application AND live update of index used by Tomcat
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:24:02 GMT
Hello,

I have a question regarding your answers to two previous posts:

 >For best performance, use a single IndexSearcher instance across your
entire application.

 >DelayCloseIndexSearcher overrides the close() method so it does not
 >close immediately: it only decrements the usage counter. [...]

I have implemented a Client-Server application where a desktop program
on a file server regularly updates an index while a web application
running on Tomcat on the same server answers queries against this index.
Currently the index is not built incrementally.

Now, the problem is that if I have an open IndexReader (or Searcher or
Luke Toolbox, respectively), it is impossible to update the index
because I get IOExceptions ala "Cannot delete _7.cfs". This even happens
if the conflicting IndexReader isn't doing anything but just sitting
still inside a Searcher to wait for the next query. So, does that mean I
have to close the searcher after each request to let the indexer do its
work? Or is there a way to tell Lucene that the IndexReader is only
reading and not writing anything.

Thanks for your help,
Matthias