lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Magne Skjeret <magne.skje...@broadpark.no>
Subject "Best-practice" in a web application
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:24:57 GMT
Hi

I am using lucene to index all my data, and it is working just great.

I will now add search to a web application, so the index can actually be
used, not just sit there.

I know how to to this, but I have been going around thinking on what is
the best practice. Speed is essential for me.

1. Can a search be performed while the index is beeing updated (add/delete)?

2. Should I create a IndexSearcher for each search?
   Or should I have 1 IndexSearcher for everyone? If, it is threadsafe,
or do I queue? Or should I create a pool of IndexSearchers?

3. Do I need to close the IndexSearcher while or after a index update
operation?

Cheers,
Magne