lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Gusenbauer Stefan <gusenba...@eduhi.at>
Subject Re: cancel search
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:46:33 GMT
Kunemann Frank wrote:

>Is there a good way to cancel a search? I mean e.g. after 10 seconds or if the user changed
his mind and wants to start another query.
>Till now I didn't have a query that took longer than 10 secs, but this can happen easily
when the network connection is very slow or something like that.

>I thought about starting the search in a thread and stop it if needed. But this will result
in an undefined state and doesn't seem to be a good approach.

>Frank
>
>-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

I've had such a long lasting search too. I sounds good to start the
search in another thread. I've done this for the indexing procedure.
This is started in another thread and the gui will be informed when
indexing is performed. If the user will stop it he has to click on a
button stop and then an event is send to the indexerthread. The
indexerthread stops if he reaches a safe point. Surely this is for
indexing but I think this would work for searching also.
stefan