lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Hits document offset information? Span query or Surround?
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 06:52:04 GMT
 >>I believe I have heard that Span queries provide some way to access
document offset information for their hits somehow.

See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-user&m=112496111224218&w=2

Faithfully selecting extracts based *exactly* on query criteria will be
hard given complex queries eg with nested Boolean logic.

The current highlighter matches based on ANY query terms found in the
provided doc text
The proposal above matches based on any spans/phrases/terms

Both options still fail to take into account any boolean logic and show
the real basis for the match eg the query
    (author:"Doug Cutting"AND title:"Lucene in Action") OR (author:Erik
AND author:Otis)
would still highlight references to "Doug Cutting" and "Lucene In
Action" for the LIA book, despite the fact that the match was actually
for Erik and Otis (the true authors).
For most people this is a problem they can live with.

Cheers
Mark