lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Martin Rode <>
Subject Optimize, OutOfMemory + Merge
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:22:03 GMT
Hi all,

The code snipset below does NOT result in an optimized index in one of
my test cases. As I understand, the optimized index, means that there is
only ONE segment file in the index folder. After this code has run, I
sometimes have 100 segment files in the directory.

When I call optimize() on the writer, most of the time I get OutOfMemory
(even with 800MB for the JVM).

What do I do wrong?

---- code snip start -----
                // optimize index
                IndexReader[] readers = new IndexReader[1];
                readers[0] =;
                writer = new IndexWriter(diri+"-optimized", anal, true);
                System.out.println("Merging to new Index:
                System.out.println("Done Merging.");
---- code snip end ----

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: