lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ali Rouhi <rouhi....@gmail.com>
Subject MultiSearcher "refresh" when underlying searchers need to be recreated?
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:02:26 GMT
Hi

I have a general question about the cost of creating MultiSearchers. Suppose
you have created a MultiSearcher using a large number of IndexSearchers,
let's exaggerate to highlight the issue and assume we put an array of 100
IndexSearchers over large indexes in the MultiSearcher constructor. Suppose
either 1 of the 100 indexes changes (maybe because we optimized it), or that
a 101'st index gets added which needs to be included in future searches.

Is it best just to throw away the MultiSearcher and create a new one with
the updated indexes or is it better to modify the MultiSearcher code to
allow adding/removing/updating of underlying indexes. What I'm concerned
with is the cost of recalculating the information which has not changed for
the other 99 IndexSearchers.

Looking at the MultiSearcher code, it doesn't seem like the constructor does
a lot of work. So maybe it's just best to close it and create a new one. I
am not sure though, and any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ali