lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Veentjer - Anchor Men" <p.veent...@anchormen.nl>
Subject RE: Is Lucene for Me?
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:12:49 GMT
We have replaced the MS SQL-server textsearch functionality
by Lucene, and the responses are a lot quicker now.

(we have 8.000.000 records).

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Verzonden: woensdag 14 september 2005 2:33
Aan: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: Is Lucene for Me?

On Sep 13, 2005, at 8:27 PM, James Reynolds wrote:
> Please forgive this low tech question, but I'm wondering if Lucene is
> an appropriate solution for a challenge I'm facing.  I need a quick
> look up method for a growing list of customers in a database (the
> alphabetical select list has become too cumbersome).

> Lucene seems to be an excellent option for a key word search, but I
> wonder if it's overkill for my relatively simple need.  Have other
> users leveraged Lucene in this manner?

Certainly Lucene could do this quite easily, but since you're already
using a database it would be worth it to explore whether LIKE queries or
full-text capabilities of your database will achieve what you're after
without adding another dependency and related code to your project.

It wouldn't be overkill to use Lucene for this scenario at all if you
can't achieve what you're after within your database as-is.

     Erik