lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Greg Gershman <gregge...@yahoo.com>
Subject Revisting FieldCacheImpl
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:55:39 GMT
Our search engine updates frequently, adding and
removing documents from the index.  After an index
update, we create a new Searcher in the background,
and execute a search against it to "prime" the sorting
by fields.  The new Searcher is swapped for the old.
>From my understanding, this is a fairly common
practice.

What I'm looking to optimize is the loading of the new
Searcher.  Since we've likely added documents,
possibly deleted a few, we have to create a new
sorting.  Those values are read out of the index and
sorted into an array that is cached.  I believe this
process could be sped up, since many of the values
that we are reading off disk are actually already
loaded into the old Searchers sorting.  The problem
is, the FieldCacheImpl is keyed by IndexReader, then
field name/type, so the new Searcher can not access
the old Searcher's cache.

I'm playing around with making the caching work at the
field name/type level, and getting rid of cacheing by
Reader.  What this would mean is that all searchers
would use the same sorting; under certain
circumstances, a new sorting could be created using
data from an old, cached sorting, which might be
detected based on changes to the IndexReader used, but
wouldn't be keyed off of it.

Does anyone see any potential pitfalls that I'm
overlooking?  We generally use a single Searcher,
would there be problems if we used more than one?
Anything else?  Is there some other requirement for
caching by IndexReader that I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance,

Greg