lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: query behavior
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:04:03 GMT
On Tuesday 27 September 2005 01:13, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> I *believe* that because of the ConjunctionScorer in 1.9, BooleanQueries
> consisting of all required terms are now optimized for situations like
> this, the Scorer for the common clause won't be asked to score things that
> the un-common clause has allready given a score of 0.0.

ConjunctionScorer is already used in 1.4 for boolean queries with only
required clauses.

> : Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:46:45 -0600
> : From: Alberto Squassabia <albertos@optimus-corp.com>
> : To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> : Subject: query behavior
> :
> : Hi!
> :
> : I learnt from a mailing list archive that the following applies:
> :
> :
> : <quote>
> : ---------------------------------
> : Tue, 06 Jan 2004
> : [...]
> : I have a index with documents that have only 2 fields, the first
> : (unique) is 'very unique', in that most document have at least somewhat
> : varying terms, the second is a boolean that contains only (boolean)
> : 'true' or 'false'. The index contains 100,000,000+ documents.
> : If I perform the following search "+unique:somevalue +boolean:true',
> : lucene with search on the first term, returning very few documents, but
> : then it will search the second term, returning possibly a million+
> : documents, then it will intersect the list, return 'hits' of only a few
> : documents.
> : [. . .]
> : This behavior has been observed with the 1.3 final code.
> : Robert Engels
> : ---------------------------------
> : </quote>
> :
> : Can anyone tell me if that is still true for 1.4?  Or if there are any
> : optimizations that is possible to hardcode in such a case (I have a
> : similar problem).

The ConjunctionScorer in 1.4 will do this optimization in the case of
a query with only required clauses.
In what way is your problem similar? The development version
has "similar" facilities for required/optional and required/excluded
queries.

Regards,
Paul Elschot.