lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From James Huang <metapr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Sort by relevance+distance
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:39:56 GMT

/*************************************************************************************/

> The typical approach (from what I know) to
> implementing an affect on scoring
> is to do field boosting. The difficulty in this
> scenario is the distance
> factor, which sounds as if it's determined at
> run-time, plus the trickiness
> of field boosting based on the values of the field.
> I've looked at this as
> well, and it's not a simple problem to solve.
>
> How are you determining if something is "near me"?
> Is it a calculation at
> run-time, i.e. latitude, longitude, and geometric
> math? What options do you
> have to determine distance?

Yes, the distance is calculated at runtime, based on
longitude/latitude. Field score boosting doesn't seem
to apply. In fact, there are other dynamic factors in
addition to distance to determine the order of search
result.

So the question is, is there a way to overriding score
calculation at runtime? In the lucene/search package,
I see interfaces like Scorer, Weight and methods like
Query.createWeight(). This looks promising.

-James