lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Is analyzing same as tokenizing???
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:35:11 GMT

On Sep 27, 2005, at 1:58 AM, Anand Kishore wrote:
> Is 'Analyzing' same as 'Tokenizing'?

Yes, in Lucene terminology these two are the same.

> When we say the Keyword field is not analyzed, but indexed and
> stored, does
> it indicate it is not tokenized as well? That means inorder to find
> a query
> match against a keyword there has to be an exact match(case
> sensitive).

That is correct.  A Keyword field is taken exact case as-is as a
single term.  A token is one piece of the analysis process.  A term
what tokens are called when indexed.

Saying that it has to be an exact match is being a bit too
simplistic... it is possible to find terms inexactly by fuzzy,
prefix, and wildcard queries for example.

     Erik