lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From aurora <auror...@gmail.com>
Subject create a single or multiple index?
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 04:42:33 GMT
I have two sources of data, let's say one is a set of articles and one is
 from forum messages. I'd like see the opinion on whether to create one
single index or separate index for each kind of document.

The user interface is not yet finalized. The search result may be
presented as separated set or they may be interleaved. The user may even
be able to set a preference.

I think it is easier to create and maintain separate index. Documents are
coming from difference source at different rate. in this case the
IndexWriter don't have to aware of the other. They can even reindex
independently. On the other hand it maybe easier for the search to be done
on a single index.

Is there any experience on this issue?