lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Index files in jar
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:12:27 GMT

As discussed in the past...

> The problem is that a jar file entry becomes an InputStream, but
> InputStream is not random access, and Lucene requires random access.  So
> you need to extract the index either to disk or RAM in order to get

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/200501.mbox/%3c41EC0DB9.8030706@apache.org%3e

: Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:07:47 -0700
: From: Jon Schuster <jons@attachmatewrq.com>
: To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: RE: Index files in jar
:
: Hi Tom,
:
: You could distribute your index files in a plain old directory outside
: of a jar file and install them with your application, then use
: FSDirectory to read from the installed location.
:
: But I can think of at least two ways to get the index files packaged
: into the application jar. One would be to write your own subclass of
: Directory (and perhaps IndexReader) that knows how to read entries
: directly from the jar file using JarInputStream. The other would be to
: use a RAMDirectory and populate the directory with the index files,
: perhaps reading the files using Class.getResourceAsStream or by creating
: a JarInputStream from an URL to the application jar.
:
: You can easily get an InputStream to your own application jar like this:
:
: 	CodeSource cs = theClass.getProtectionDomain().getCodeSource();
: 	URL providerURL = cs.getLocation();
: 	InputStream is = providerURL.openStream();
:
: Have fun,
: --Jon
: