lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul.Illingwo...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Does order of BooleanQuery clauses affect search performance?
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:58:45 GMT

A simple question and I guess it may have been asked before.

Does the order of Querys in a BooleanQuery affect search speed? By this I
mean if the first clause of a BooleanQuery only returns a few results and
the second clause returns lots of results and the two are ANDed is this
faster than the other way around? Similarly, does searching stop if no
results are found and the logical operations would mean no results can be
found (similar to Javas "short circuiting" of logical operations)?

I ask because I am creating some reasonably complex queries and if I can
get a boost by simply organising the logic sensibly then I will.

Regards

Paul I.