lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: max number of documents
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:03:35 GMT
On Aug 10, 2005, at 6:47 PM, Chris Fraschetti wrote:
> maybe this is a stupid question, maybe not...
> returns an int.. which would lead me to assume the obvious
> limitations of the size of the index (size meaning number of docs) ...
> assuming I reach this limit, can I expect lucene to throw some sort of
> exception?
> What is the best practice for this? watch my count and switch to a new
> index when the time comes, then search across both indexes?

Who's got Lucene indexes nearing the maximum integer value?   I'm
seriously curious.  That's over 4 billion documents.

As for scaling - at that point I recommend checking out Nutch's
architecture, especially the new MapReduce branch.  It's made for
this sort of big time scalability.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message