lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Trezzi Michael" <MTre...@CSAS.CZ>
Subject OutOfMemoryError on addIndexes()
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:47:29 GMT
I have a problem and i tried everything i could think of to solve it. TO understand my situation,
i create indexes on several computers on our network and they are copied to one server. There,
once a day, they are merged into one masterIndex, which is then searched. The problem is in
merging. I use the following code:
Directory[] ar = new Directory[fileList.length];
       for(int i=0; i<fileList.length;i++) {
           ar[i] = FSDirectory.getDirectory(fileList[i], false);
       for(int i=0; i<fileList.length;i++) {
I also tried a longer way of opening every index separately and adding it document by document.
The problem is i am getting OutOfMemory errors on this. When I use the per document way, it
happens on the command and only on indexes of approx 100M+ (The largest index
I have is only about 150MB) When I run it on windows machine with JDK1.5 I get the following:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM
On Linux I am running 1.4 and I get the message without the Array size information.
I did try it also on test index that was made from 11359 files  (1,59GB) that had 120MB and
I got this error too. In my opinion 120MB index is not that big. The machine it runs on is
a Xeon 3,2GHz with 2GB of RAM, so it should be enough. Can you please help me?
Thank you in advance,
Michael Trezzi