lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError on addIndexes()
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:34:57 GMT
How much memory are you giving your programs?

 java    -Xmx<size>        set maximum Java heap size

--
Ian.

On 10/08/05, Trezzi Michael <MTrezzi@csas.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a problem and i tried everything i could think of to solve it. TO understand my
situation, i create indexes on several computers on our network and they are copied to one
server. There, once a day, they are merged into one masterIndex, which is then searched. The
problem is in merging. I use the following code:

> Directory[] ar = new Directory[fileList.length];
>        for(int i=0; i<fileList.length;i++) {
>            ar[i] = FSDirectory.getDirectory(fileList[i], false);
>        }
>        writer.addIndexes(ar);
>        for(int i=0; i<fileList.length;i++) {
>            ar[i].close();
>        }
>       writer.optimize();
>       writer.close();
>
> I also tried a longer way of opening every index separately and adding it document by
document. The problem is i am getting OutOfMemory errors on this. When I use the per document
way, it happens on the IndexReader.open command and only on indexes of approx 100M+ (The largest
index I have is only about 150MB) When I run it on windows machine with JDK1.5 I get the following:
>     Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds
VM limit
> On Linux I am running 1.4 and I get the message without the Array size information.
>
> I did try it also on test index that was made from 11359 files  (1,59GB) that had 120MB
and I got this error too. In my opinion 120MB index is not that big. The machine it runs on
is a Xeon 3,2GHz with 2GB of RAM, so it should be enough. Can you please help me?