lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Friedland, Zachary (EDS - Strategy)" <zachary_friedl...@ml.com>
Subject Ideal Index Fragmentation
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:34:53 GMT
Does anyone have experience using lots of indexes simultaneously with
the multisearcher?  I'm looking to index 15 distinct objects for
searching, and was thinking of creating 15 distinct indexes for better
manageability & performance (for certain searches when I know which
index to search).

Certain indexes will be very large (2-3 million documents), but most
will be 50,000-500,000 documents.  Each document will contain a good
number of fields (20-50).

I know there are issues with file handles, but what happens to search
performance (parallel vs. sequential) over lots of indexes.  Am I better
off combining them into one huge index (2GB file limit may be an issue),
or some fragmentation in-between....

Any advice that you have had with a similar project would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach