lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Books about Lucene?
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:42:38 GMT
I appreciate the vote of confidence on this, but I am not afraid to
admit that I do not consider myself an expert on the deep innards of
Lucene.  I understand the concepts, and a bit of the internals, but I
certainly do not live up to the hype you just bestowed upon me.  *blush*

Regarding JDK 1.2 - I came to Java at 1.3, and have never used a JDK
earlier than that.  All the apps I build now are currently on JDK 1.5
(err... 5.0).  I do not currently know what would be involved in
running Lucene on a 1.2 VM.  The first question to ask is whether an
earlier version of Lucene is sufficient for the needs of those
constrained to JDK 1.2.  If not, then we move forward to defining
what needs to be changed - a simple compilation of the trunk source
code with a 1.2 VM would give away most of the details.

As with open source in general, it is about scratching our own
itches.  If you're using Lucene (or need to use Lucene) in a 1.2 VM,
that is your itch to scratch and I would happily support your efforts
in some way in documenting this (either on the wiki or embedded in
Lucene's own built-in documentation) or in providing an alternative
version of Lucene that is suitable for 1.2 (perhaps by having
alternative code in a separate directory within our code
repository).  If you create such documentation, perhaps you'd be
willing to donate it with full attribution to the 2nd edition of
LIA.  But please don't wait for me to do it, as it really is not
something I need personally for any project - all my projects are at
JDK 1.5 currently.

     Erik