lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "raymondcreel (sent by Nabble.com)" <li...@nabble.com>
Subject Re: custom sort
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:38:13 GMT

Actually in this case I am sorting by score already but I'm not sure if that helps.  Regardless
of how I do my primary sort, I want to tweak the results such that some hardcoded number of
documents that match some criteria get pushed or frontloaded to the top of the results.  For
instance think of a search engine where you generally are displaying a list of pages sorted
by score, but you want 10 pages from a featured site to always show at the top of the first
page, while leaving the rest of the sort order as it is.  That's why it's not something I
can really do at the index stage by assigning boosts - I only want to boost those first 10
items that match the criteria, not all of them.

What I'm doing now is taking the whole resulting document collection, iterating through it
and manually moving these 10 documents to the front of the collection.  This is slow and ugly.
 I was hoping there might be a slicker way to do it as part of the actual sort.  I will play
around with the custom sorting and report back if I figure out an elegant way to do it.

Thanks for all your replies.
Raymond
--
Sent from the Lucene - Java Users forum at Nabble.com:
http://www.nabble.com/custom-sort-t262833.html#a750675