lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Markus Fischer <mar...@fischer.name>
Subject Using one physical lucene index for multiple projects
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:56:16 GMT
Hi,

I've about five different projects which would need to access a lucene
index for searching. The projects are completely unrelated to each other
however it's all about the same: indexing HTML documents.

Since all these projects are also runnig inside the same hosting
company, I thought about being nice to resources and actually only use
one luceneindex for all projects.

I'm running XML-RPC to allow access to the index.

My idea was that I share a SecretKey between the projects indexers and
projects clients. So the indexer can only add/remove documents with his
key and the client can only access documents with his key.

The goal is not about the ultimate security solution but not to have run
multiple Lucene instances on the machines.

I this a good idea to do it that way or would someone recommend another
practice?

thanks,
- Markus