lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nader Henein <...@bayt.net>
Subject Re: Search Results Clustering
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:23:06 GMT
well you're not going to like my answer, to that, if what you're looking
for is a group by result depending on the unique values of a field or a
combination of fields ( field-3 field-4 ), something that in SQL would
look like this :

select field-3 , field-4 , count(*) from ... where ..... group by
field-3 , field-4

Then short of doing X Lucene queries to get total result counts, I'm nor
really sure how you would get this, depending on how many unique
combinations you have, you could always denormalize the count(*) in a
separate table or Lucene Index and run two queries, the first to get the
counts and the second to get the results which you could group on display.

So the question is, how many unique values do you have, it would help if
you gave me a real world example because there are work arounds to these
things, that can be a lot more performant and intelligent than a
straight DB hit.

Nader Henein

--

Nader S. Henein