lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Markus Fischer <mar...@fischer.name>
Subject Public access to the stemmer (germanstemmer in my case)
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:51:33 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering if there's a reason why the stemmers, e.g. GermanStemmer
are not accessible from outside the lucene package.

When I want to highlight the search terms, I need to know which terms
have been found. Example: when searching for "Vitamine" the
GermanStemmer produces "Vitami". "Vitami" is a word not directly used,
but often it's "Vitamin", the noun. When I now try to highlight the
matched words solely based on the user input, I certainly won't be able
to highlight "Vitamin" or a part of the word, since I'm not aware of the
stemmed word.

My frontend application is not Java, I'm only accessing Lucene through
my package with XML-RPC. What I did now is I copied the GermanStemmer
from lucene into my package and called it from there.

But I'm not sure if that's a clever idea and maybe I just overlooked a
public interface to the stemmer output? Or I'm approaching the whole
highlight search term from the wrong direction?

thanks for any pointers,
- Markus