lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Case-sensitive search
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:03:46 GMT

On Aug 22, 2005, at 10:40 AM, tareque@controldocs.com wrote:
> Is there any way to index as case-sensitive and then, while searching,
> making the search case-sensitive and case-insensitive using the
> same index
> as needed?

Not really.  Terms in the index are ordered lexicographically,
including case.  It certainly would be possible to write customized
Query subclasses to do this sort of thing at the expense of performance.

The only techniques I'm aware of are to either build separate indexes
or index the same information into separate fields of the same
documents using different analyzers per field.

     Erik