lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <burtona...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Xanga.com
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:00:38 GMT
On 8/24/05, Monsur Hossain <monsur@monsur.com> wrote:

> Otis, we've been continually impressed with the performance of Lucene.
> We've been ever increasing the load we are putting on it (from our small
> help section, to our slightly larger metros, to our big groups, and then
> our gigantic weblogs), and it has meet each of these challenges
> wonderfully.
>
> We are currently indexing only a few weeks worth of data (about a 6.5
> gig index)..  I think we can increase that even more and over the next

I've only found Lucene to fall down when optimizing REALLY huge
indexes like 300G or so.  Then you run out of available system memory
(4G on 32bit machines) and you hit disk.  Then it starts to take weeks
to optimize :-)

Of course you coudl use multiple machines or get more memory.

Kevin

      AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.feedblog.org/