lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "N. C. Deepak Ramesh" <>
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2005 04:05:07 GMT
Hi list,

Let me describe my issue taking a simpler model. Lets say I were to build a
blog which allows each post to have multiple keywords. I want to provide a
search over the posts but restricted to a subset of the keywords (say -
python, windows, etc.). How can I structure the index in this case. I had
though of 2 fields, one a list of keyword ids and the other for post
contents. (The reason why I go for keyword ids is because the keyword is a
foreign key whose string could be changed independent of the post). What do
you think?

Also, from a design orientation for the use case I described above, would it
be better to go for something like tsearch2 (I use postgres) in this case
because keyword searching is just one way of searching in my app. The data
could be searched across many other fields which are being done by sql's.
Does it really help in using something like lucene because I am worried
about the burden of maintaing the 2 data repositories (db and lucene index)
in sync. I am asking this because if I go for tsearch2 the data is in only 1
place and also updates, deletes to the data are handled for free by the db
for me.

Does anybody have any suggestion?