lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karl Koch" <TheRan...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Books about Lucene?
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:22 GMT
Hello Erik,

I find "Lucene in Action" an extemely well written and easy accessable book
and I must say: Well done (including of course everybody who participated to
the book).

Naturally the book is very strong on the latest version on Lucene. I
currently, and you may have realised that on all my other postings, have the
problem that I cannot go for the latest version due to hardware limitations
in mobile computing. I think I am not alone. I think it would be great to
have articles on how to run Lucene on small footprint devices such as Java
enabled PDAs or even MIDP on mobile phones. I am not really convinced that
this shouild go in a book such a LIA but I am sure there is a demand to know
about how to do such things.

There are certainly people out there that want to try out more IR intensic
stuff with Lucene. This is, for a good reason, not addressed in the book. I
think it would be good to have perhaps some in-deep information on Lucene
available that goes into this direction. I am not sure if I am talking about
another book here or if this could be some sort of appendix chapters in the
next LIA. Since you are an IR expert, it could actually be a great idea to
write an IR book for Students in Information Science and Information
Retrieval with Lucene as the tool used for examples (like you find
statistical books with SPSS examples).

Karl