lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From santo santo <>
Subject Regarding range queries.
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 06:27:24 GMT
Hi all,
I am new user of lucene. This query is posted at least
once on alomost all lucene mailing lists. The query
being about handling of date fields.

In my case I need to find documents with dates older
than a particular date. So ideally I am not supposed
to specify the lower bound. When using the default
date handling provdied by lucene in conjunction with
the RangeQuery, it results in a havaoc.

But recently during my search for a solution to this
problem I came across a solution  which said to
convert the dates to string format of the form
YYYY:MM:DD. This is beacuse - "Lucene can handle
String ranges without having to add every possible
value as a comparison clause". Here is the link

Now my question is:-
(1) Is the above statement true?
(2) If yes will it work with YYYY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS
format  too?

Other solutions are also welcome.

Thanks alot.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: