lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JDBC proxy implementing Lucene?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:20:05 GMT
Hi Chris,

--- Chris Lu <chris.lu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Just an idea to make Lucene work with databases more easily.
>
> When I communicated with Shay Banon(Compass' author), it came to me
> that maybe Lucene can be wrapped around JDBC drivers. Let's say it's
> L-JDBC.
>
> So whenever an object is stored through JDBC, according to some XML
> configuration file, L-JDBC can index the updated object/document, or
> delete it from the index.
>
> Basically make Lucene indexing transparent to new/existing
> applications.
>
> Not really a super idea. I am wondering anyone will find it helpful?

Yes, that would be handy, as lots of people have applications that use
both Lucene and a RDBMS and use various tricks to keep the two in sync.
 If an application uses Hibernate, then one can make use of various
Hibernate interceptors and use them to trigger operations on an
external Lucene index.  I know at least one application that does
something similar (see my .signature).

Otis

Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/ -- Find it. Tag it. Share it.